This fall, navigate the spectacular cities of Canada and New England when the crisp air and vibrant colors take center stage. Great cities from Montréal to Québec City offer a French savoir faire, while Newport and Bar Harbor captivate with history and charm.
Below, we’ve gathered 10 of our favorite ways to enjoy this picturesque region.
- Relive the high-stepping, fun loving nights of the 1920s during a tour of the West Village and learn about the area’s role in the history of jazz and of the noted musicians that gave New York City its musical edge.
- Let the fresh sea breeze and beautiful scenery captivate you on a harbor cruise to Rose Island from Newport, where you’ll discover the 350-year history of the “City-by-the-Sea.” Explore the fully restored lighthouse, first lit in 1870, with its illuminating, turn-of-the-last century ambiance.
- Do you have a passion for the food and wine of Italy? Embark on the North End Market Tour in Boston, as seen on TV Food Network’s The Best Of, and venture into the food traditions and marketplaces of the most authentic “Little Italy” remaining in America.
- Enjoy a casual and invigorating 90-minute walk along Acadia’s famous Ocean Trail, an excellent way to take in the sights, sounds, and smells of the beautiful New England coastline of Bar Harbor.
- Get a first-hand look at Halifax’s lobster industry with a lobster boat tour that travels along the coast of Nova Scotia and culminates with a delicious lobster lunch. Help the captain and crew pull up a lobster trap and discover the culture of lobster fishing in Nova Scotia before releasing the traps back into the ocean.
- See Charlottetown’s key landmarks and attractions, including the Province House National Historic Site, by horse-drawn trolley, the ultimate way to become immersed in the area’s history. The horsepower, literally, is supplied by a pair of well-muscled Clydesdales, a breed of draft horses named after the area in Scotland where they derived.
- Hike a scenic coastal trail at Forillon National Park in Gaspé. The park is somewhat mountainous, bordered by sea cliffs and almost entirely covered by dense forest populated by black bears, porcupines, beavers and many species of birds.
- Watch an action-filled performance of the long-running La Fabuleuse, a mesmerizing show that tells the fascinating story of the founding of the Saguenay-Lac-Saint-Jean area at Théâtre Palais Municipal, the largest indoor theater in the province and certainly one of the most beautiful.
- For the adventurous spirit, embark on an evening ghost tour that recounts past murders, executions and tragedies in Québec City. There certainly are a fair share of unexplained mysteries and eerie sightings over the last 400 years, and it doesn’t take an enormous imagination to raise your goose bumps.
- The secret to the magic of Montréal is the irresistible blend of its French Old World “joie de vivre” and its New World cosmopolitan zip. Following your voyage, spend a few days exploring Montréal and see the beautiful Montréal Botanical Gardens featuring 31 specialized gardens and over 20,000 different types of plants or visit Olympic Park the base for the 1976 Summer Olympics.